Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Don Diego

“You can find me in the club, bottle full of bub Look mami I got the X if you into taking drugs I'm into having sex, I ain't into making love So come give me a hug if you into getting rubbed..”

50 Cent's 'In Da Club' has become THE party anthem for 2003. Even the white folks are 'feeling it mane!' I never realized how infectious the hook really is until I heard a live 5-piece band jam this song in Dallas. If you like live music, dancing and good drinks, then you should make sure to check out Don Diego at Stone Trail in Addison. Located on Midway, less than half a mile north of 635, this is THE spot if you want to hear some quality R&B music with a spontaneous infusion of pop/rap.

The crowd is the after 5, slacks and a shirt (no tie) type mix. With everyone ready to dance at their tables at the bar or wherever the spirit hits them. Don Diego's band is full of energy and enthusiasm WITH a flair for 'what they want'. Their choreographed dance steps will bring a smile to your face and make you exclaim, 'These guys are DOIN IT!!"

With all the soulful classics of Maze, the Isley Brothers, Marvin Sease, etc in their repotoire, they always seem to know the song that will make you move your feet and shake your pelvis. And just when we thought we couldn't get more crunk as the dancefloor was packed with folks 'doing tha butt'..they bust out into a rousing rendition of 50's "In Da Club" that made the whole club start pumping their fist and jumping up and down.

Rap and hip hop have always been an indicator of what's going on in the hood. But live music has always been and will always be a talented offering of what's going on in the heart. I like 50..but if they would have put Don Diego's crew on stage at the BET Awards show and let them do THEIR thang with 50's song..the crowd would have been even MORE hyped. If you're ever in Big D and you want to feel the beat,check out Don Diego@Stonetrail, you know where they be...

"I'm feelin' focused man, my money on my mind I got a mill out the deal and I'm still on the grind Now shawty said she feeling my style, she feeling my flow Her girlfriend wanna get bi and they ready to go.."



(l to r) David, Don Diego & Tracy