Friday, May 07, 2004

Thug Life

Alright! Alright! Let's get this show on the road! It's Friday and I've got to serve up the end of the week mood setter. I haven't posted since Monday (which is a rarity), but you can best believe I've been steady hustling at my work. First off, I'd like to welcome all of the new readers to servinemup.com. My name is D.E. Washington..you can call me D. By now I'm sure you've checked out a couple of the Recent Articles to have a good idea of how I flow. Everytime I post, there's always friends, family and readers I have never met before that post comments in the form all the way at the bottom of the home page. I encourage all of you to submit feedback, that's one of the advantages of writing on the Internet. You'll notice that the only publicly displayed comments are those in the guest book. There are a lot of hackers with programs out there that sweep through guest books and comment forms of websites and jack their email addresses. I'm guilty of this same 'jack' move myself, I've gone through websites such as urbanministries.com and copied their email addresses to my mail out list. Since this can go both ways, and someone might do the same to servinemup's guest book, I just want all of ya'll to know that you will NEVER receive an unsolicited email with an attachment from a servinemup.com email address. Feel that, NO ATTACHMENTS, but that doesn't mean you won't happen to see this email in your inbox one day…


From: dwashington@servinemup.com
Subject: Git Yo Serve On!!

BREAK YO SELF FOOL!!! I just jacked your email address from one of those God emails that circulate around and requires everyone to forward the email to 10 people they love within the next 10 minutes if they want to receive a miracle in their life. Yep! I just went all the way down through all the distribution list and copied all of the addresses, because I know that if you're the kind of person in those kinda loops, you're gonna LOVE what I'm servin up here!

Sit back, relax yourself, get your reading glasses out and read through some of this contemporary Christian urban prose. At least 3 new posts every week! Holla at me mane and support a brother getting down for his purpose.

http://servinemup.com


If you love God? Sign the guest book! If you love JESUS? Forward this email to at least 10 people you know! Right NOW!!…J

Sincerely,

D.E. Washington - Chief Executive Writer
Servinemup Ink

Mmmhmm…I'm from the Southside of Houston mane, I know how to distribute these goods! I've got to say what's up to Doc Chik'N'head, one of my lifelong homies from Sugarvalley, she's not only a spiritual friend, but also one of my leading supporters and distribution hubs for servinemup.com. Twin, they don't even know how hard I'm coming at them yet, but I know that you and all the Southside can feel me and it will be a big party on the Southside when we can stand up and say, "I TOLD ya'll fools! Jesus is REAL mane!" and everybody who doesn't believe is going to sit back and say, 'D'mn! We shoulda been listening to that n'ga D. when he was telling us that!'

Thanks to all of Sugarvalley, Reedwood, Blueridge, Cloverland (What's up Robbin!), Hillwood, Paradise Valley, South Acres, Crestmont Park, Wesley Square, my boy Joe T. in that Trey Ward (The Fellas will have their day mane!), Mo.City, Hiram Clarke, Almeda Plaza and all of the Southside for standing up and supporting one of your native sons. I know I sound like I'm writing the credits on the back of an album cover, but there's a lot of people that have had my back and are helping me push my weight and I want to say I appreciate all ya'll help kinfolk.


Although I grew up in the hood, by no means do I consider myself a thug. I've never been in jail for more than 72 hours, I've never been shot, stabbed or kidnapped. I've never had to 'pop a cap on a fool' for coming at me wrong. I've never had to wear a bulletproof vest for added security, I've never had to peep out of my windows worrying about suspicious cars cruising by looking to avenge a prior shooting. I've never had to sell rocks on the corner, I've never had to hustle hoz on the block. I don't even have a tattoo. But the deal with me is that I grew up with a lot of dudes that the general public would be afraid to sit next to on the bus. N'gaz with gold grills, tattoos covering their arms, n'gaz that have been to prison before, n'gaz who walk the earth refusing to bow down to authority. The only authority they recognize is power. If you can't beat them up, or if you can't overwhelm them with gun power? They ain't trying to hear sh't you've got to say. Thug niggaz.

I have friends that I used to sit next to in Sunday School every Sunday that have been subjected to the violence and pain that the thug lifestyle breeds. My podna Byron Lewis was murdered while sleeping in his bed, along with both his parents and one of his brothers. Byron wasn't a thug, he was only an early teenager when this happened, but you can best believe it was some thugs who carried out this home invasion and execution. I have since had several friends, church buddies and family members fall prey to the thug life. Some of them fall in with the wrong crowd and get caught up with whatever their podnas are doing. When you hang out with a thug crowd, you become a part of it, like it or not. When riders come to pay retribution on a thug that shot up their car, those bullets spraying are for the thug who did it and any fool stupid enough to be hanging around him. There is no compassion in the thug life, it's all about power and control. Strictly bizness mane, never personal.

The thug mentality is a 'me against the world' mindset. Your boys, your crew, your click may be strong, but in the end you have to go in front of that judge alone. There is no one else's name called on the docket, just The State of Texas or The United States of America vs. [insert your favorite thug name here]. Because the thug life has an inevitable path that leads to pain, prison or death.



Of all my homeboys that are thugs, they've all spent time either in jail or maybe laid up in the hospital having to sh't into a bag for months until the bullet wound in their stomach heals. That sh't ain't pretty..fo real. A lot of guys get caught up in rap music and rap lyrics and rap videos and all of a sudden, they're 'hard'. They might even start carrying a gun on them, just to keep them 'haters' off of em. But these same wanna be thugs are the main ones crying the loudest in court when that judge hits that gavel and says, '20 years!'.

I understand the premise of the thug life, thugs want to do WHATEVA the f'k they want to do, cuz they CAN! Hell, I wish I could do THAT! But in the end, we all must realize that it's not all about US. Submitting to a higher authority is not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of wisdom and maturity. Even those who never had any parents or guardians they felt were WORTHY to listen to, eventually will run upon a governing body that will lay hands on them and show them who REALLY has the power. Some thugs don't submit to this authority until they face a near death experience that causes them to change their way of living or die. Some never submit, and go out with a sneer and both guns blazing screaming 'Fk the world!' because they just don't care if they live or die. Life has brought them so much pain and suffering that they figure that death has to be a better place.

Tupac penned some very thought provoking and soul searching lines that screamed all of the frustrations of the thug world.

Thug life, ya'll know the rules gotta do Whatcha gotta do,

I won't deny it, I'm a straight rider you don't want to f'k with me..

And one of the most important questions Pac asked, was

"I wonder if Heaven's got a ghetto for thug n'gas? A stress free life and a place for drug dealers.."



There are a lot of thugs out there swanging and banging and doing their thing, all the while they have diamond studded crosses draped across their chests. It's one thing to WEAR the cross, but the real work comes in when you BEAR your cross. It doesn't matter how early you're up on the block with your pocket full of rocks, God didn't put nane thug down here just to be selling dope to fiends. If you want to thug, pick up that REAL gat and read the 6th Chapter of Ephesians. It's where Paul is talking about soldiers putting on the full armour of God. There is no need to be a weak or afraid, stay strong and put on your armour and thug for the Lord. There IS a place in Heaven for thugs that submit to the will of God. Fo-real!