Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Wednesday, October 6th

Wednesday, October 6, 2004


Ooowee D!!

Wazzup??

Mane..I was reading through some of the things people have written in your guest book/comments tab…mane, some people really be tripping!!

Why do you say that??

On one hand, you’ve got people telling you good job, keep up the positive work, but then on the other end, you have a lot of folks talking about you need to stop using all those ‘unholy’ words and stuff.

I know..that’s wild huh?

Mane..I guess it just goes to show..you can never please everybody.

Yeah..it used to bother me when I first started getting emails and comments that chastised my language or content..but now I take those comments just like any other one.

What do you mean?

Well..you know, you’ve got to realize that everyone has their own world that they have been privy too.

Huh?

It’s like..if you’ve never lived on the Southside and your whole life you spend around only highly educated upper middle class black folks ..then your chances of having the word ‘n’ga’ as a common part of your vocabulary are greatly reduced.

Aww c’mon now..I can see if you was up here talking about f-this and d’s and p’s and all those nasty curse words! All you do is say a coupla hell’s or d’mn’s or maybe even a sh’t or two every now and then. This ain’t no website for kids..ain’t nothing but grownups here..I guess I just don’t understand why people spend all their time worried about the wrong thang.

Well..on a higher level..since I am a person who has publicly confessed my faith in my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ..well, there is an added responsibility when you’re a believer.

Yeah..and you know I’m not tripping on that..I mean, when I read Soldiers in the Hood..you made me think about the whole Christian mission in a whole different light..so I know that’s a good thing. But I can’t believe how people can expect you to be out here pushing the Word into the world, yet talking and acting all ‘holy’ like this is church or something. I mean.most of the people who NEED to be in church learning about the Lord never go and not only do that not go to church, they don’t read the Bible.

I would agree with that.

But with the way you get down..kinda like a folksy intellectual..mane D..you have a way to communicate with folks that makes them feel the message you’re trying to convey. I already know when your books hit the street it’s gonna blow up..cuz people really want to read something that’s real…not all fake and flossed up. I don’t think you should let those holy rollers deter you mane..cuz the harder you hit and the more real you keep it..the more pull you’re going to have on the street.

Well..therein lies the problem.

What do you mean?

Once you give your life over to Christ..you become His servant.

Okay..and??

That means that you no longer live for worldly gain or for what's 'live' on the street..your life is given toward uplifting His kingdom.

Alright..you’re starting to weird me out now.

Why does that weird you out??

You know..that sounds like some of that creepy, ‘Drink the Kool-Aid!!’ type talk. I mean..I understand God may have a purpose for all of us to serve and it’s up to us to receive His calling..but at what point do you KNOW it’s God that’s calling you to do something and not just some weird voice in the back of your head?

That can be tough..but one thing you can know..is that whatever it is you feel called to do, if it’s from God, it will be supported by Scripture. God is not telling anyone to act against His Word and even deeper than that..when God beckons for you..that Holy Spirit will touch your heart and make you FEEL it mane, all you have to do is be willing to heed the command.

So that means everybody is supposed to quit there jobs and start walking around in robes and sandals telling people they need to repent??

If that is what God puts on your heart to do..yeah.

C’mon now D!! You gotta be joking!! You don’t REALLY believe God calls people to give all their money away to the poor and live the life of a broke holy man!!??!

When you read the Bible..the message is clear..the Word WILL be spread to every mountaintop and every valley before it’s all over. Everyone has their own mission and the Spirit moves with 'diverse operations'..some folks may have one person in their life who they are supposed to ‘touch’ and enlighten to the Way, the Truth and the Light others are called to lead a congregation of thousands, it all depends on the person. I’m not saying God wants everyone to quit their job and walk around carrying a sign, I’m just saying that He comes at everybody differently.

So..what calling did God give you??

I don’t know if this is my final mission..but I do know that God wants me to keep on servinemup in a way that gives Him the glory. If this is my lifelong task, or just something He has me doing while He’s getting me ready for bigger things..I dunno. Either way..I know that I pray daily and I constantly seek His guidance while I keep on getting down with the pen.

I guess they say He must not be guiding you too much..with you using all them ‘n’ga’ words and stuff!! (laughing)

God put me on the Southside of Houston for a reason mane..we all have to dance in our own arena. I’m a servant of the Lord for eternity, but I’m a Southside soldier for life. If my books never spread past Sunnyside, South Park and Third Ward, I’ll still know that I was performing my duty in serving my Lord..uplifting His name..letting n'gas know who the REAL KING is…so for those who are offended by the language, I’m sorry…I guess I should have some kind of disclaimer, saying I’m a rated-R Christian writer.

Aww man..with the stuff they have on TV and the radio these days..your stuff ain’t rated R..it’s rated PG-13!!

Yeah..but the wildest part about it all, is that when I think about the things I WANT to write sometimes but I edit out?? Mane..if I didn’t have Jesus in my heart, I’d be triple X!! (laughing…but serious)

Aww hell..it ain’t nothing wrong with getting a lil freaky every now and then!!

There’s a time and a place for everything mane..you can believe that.

ALL-Ready!!