Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Dirt Off Ya Shoulder

One of my close friends made a comment to me the other day about servinemup.com that really amused me greatly..



Hey D..you alright?



Yeah..I’m cool..why do you ask?



I dunno man..it seems like you’re hearing voices in the background.



Uhhh…doesn’t everybody?



Yeah..but you’re not supposed to tell anybody about stuff like that. They’re going to think you’re crazy.



Crazy or just like them?



Huh?



I mean..do you ever feel contradictory voices in your mind? One part of you is saying, ‘Gone and do that sh’t’ and the other part is saying, ‘Holeup cuz!’?



Yeah..but how do you know which one to listen to?



You have to sit back and evaluate, which one is of the flesh and which one is of the spirit.



What if you have more than two?



That means you’re obviously crazy as hell.


_________________________________

(laughing) That’s funny to me too. Huh? You didn’t laugh at that one? That’s funny..no? Hmph..weird. Anyhoo..I realize that the politically correct thing to do, would be to remain silent/ambiguous about my Christian faith. You know, don’t ‘wear it on your sleeve.’ When you’re around other folks that you know are Christian, then you can speak up, otherwise, hide. Don’t let them know what you believe, that way, they won’t be able to get closer to you so that they can hurt you. Keep it on the DL and all that. I tried that route for awhile, but I can't stay locked up in the closet, I gotta get out and be D!!!


These past few months of blogging on servinemup have been kinda wild. Even though I receive a LOT of positive feedback on the things I write, I still can not ignore the ‘constructive criticisms’ that I receive. It seems the biggest problem is from Christians who feel that I use too much profanity. These comments make me look deeper within my self and my heart and I try to step back and look at the big picture to make sure I am headed along the right path. In doing that, I had to really sit back and think of WHO my target audience is. A lot of people mistakenly think I just write for Christians..kinda like writing a speech for church, but that’s actually not the case. Although I make sure to bring up key points of Christian theology, my core audience is not Christian ‘church folks’. It just so happens that this group of ‘church folks’ happen to be the most vocal, in their support of servinemup.com, as well as in their suggestions for improvement. But although I’m a part of this Christian community, this is not my target audience. Because the way I look at it, all those good church folks, who read their Bibles and go to church religiously, they already know what’s up. But those folks out there that never go to church or seek to strengthen their relationship with God and they’re just drifting through the world of the flesh , those are the readers I’m trying to knock upside the head…



Say mane!



Huh?



You checked out your boy D on servinemup.com yet??



Nawww…what’s that n’ga tawkin’ bout???



You need to check him out mane..,he’s getting down for that real and representin for the hood. He even had a picture of Big Black on there.



Fo real??? I gotta check that n’ga out…I already know that n’ga be CLOWNIN wit it!!




Heh heh! What? See, you’re getting mad about some n-words and that’s not even ME talking, that’s some dudes on the street talking about servinemup.com. So when I’m attracting an audience of young black folks, and I’m putting something that first of all, is holding their attention long enough for them to READ and second of all, it’s letting them fools know that God is REAL… that’s what I call winning. And everybody that knows D. Washington, knows that I play to win. You can blame my father for that one, he trained me from day one to be a real player. My mom and my grandma laid down that law of going to church and serving for the Lord. So here we are now and I’m a grown man who’s just coming into my spiritual maturity and I’ve been laying it out on the world wide web for all to see.



Wearing your faith on your sleeve and proclaiming it for the world to see can be a harrowing experience. But whenever I felt low, or afraid about how the world would receive D.E. Washington –convicted Christian, that’s when I looked up to the hills from which cometh my help. Once you truly believe, you are no longer afraid of what the world may do to you.



Nobody (but my mama) will buy my books?



My website was voted the most likely to start sending out 'special' Kool-Aid?



My works have been banned by all the gay Christian churches?



Writing books that spread the Word of Jesus Christ the Risen Saviour won’t ever make me enough money to live on??



There’s too many curse words so now the proper and presteen churches are banning their support of D.E. Washington??



There’s millions of things that will pull and tug at your soul, making you feel contorted and stretched out like saltwater taffy. But here I am, over 13 months of blogging and I’m still doing what I do. Those who have never felt the Spirit move within them probably think I’m crazy. But then again, those who have felt the Spirit and KNOW what’s up probably think I’m crazy too, so it’s all good.



I apologize to all those who have been patiently checking in and waiting for a new post on servinemup this past week. I’ve been out of town on business in Milwaukee and in my free time, I was spending it with some of my blood kinfolk that I hadn’t seen in almost 25 years, so servinemup.com has been suffering. Down here in Houston, public school started this week and those who have kids know that it’s time to get back on that hump, getting kids off to school, getting them picked up, getting homework done, dinner, projects, practices, rehearsals, the beat goes on ya’ll.

So thanks once again for being patient with D. Thanks to all those soldiers out there for having my back. Thanks to all those haters out there who want me to fail..nyah nyahhhh!! The battle is already won fool, the tomb is empty!! See..that’s my problem, always wanting to clown with it. God wants us to be of an humble mind and spirit, I’m still working on that one, cuz sometimes it just feels so good to git...that....dirt off ya shoulder.