Friday, November 14, 2003

Janky

Janky "jang-key"
One who is shady in character and therefore is not dependable.
Those Enron executives were janky.



To date, one of the most popular characters that I have introduced to the Servinemup audience is Reverend Janky. For those that have joined late and are unfamiliar, Rev. Janky first showed up on the scene in the 9/18/2003 post ‘The Art of Flirting’:

Church Flirting

Good morning Sis. Truett..how are YOU doing??
Just fine Rev. Janky..and you?
I’m blessed, I’m blessed..(grabbing both of her hands and looking all the way down from her toes up to her hair while shaking his head slowly and smiling displaying a full gold-toothed grill) Lawd have mercy! You sure ARE blessed!! I gotta get me one of these good Sunday hugs!
You’re so crazy Rev. Janky. (smiling and hugging him)
Uh huh..just make sure you come see me during my office hours this week..I might need to ‘lay hands’ on you…(watching her intently as she walks away) Lawd Lawd Lawd..God is SO good!!


He’s made several re-appearances, most recently as a callin to DJ Get-Wit-Cha’s ‘Superfreak’ radio show…

Alright..next on the line, we’ve got Pastor Janky, calling in from that South Acres..what it do Pastor Jank?

Amen brother. I’ve been listening to your show, and I just wanted to say a word or two on what the Good Book has to say about this ‘freakin’.

Go ahead.

I’m not trying to talk down about anybody, cuz Pastor Janky has done MUCH freakin in his day, a lot of your listeners I’m sure I used to freak with (Halleluia)... For those single super freaks out there that can‘t seem to control their urges, the Bible says its better to marry than to burn.

Burn? You mean like get the clap?

Naww, I mean like burning in hell for fornicating.

Oh.

But no matter what you have done, if you get down on your knees and repent and pray to God to strengthen you toward the right path, He’ll hook you up.



It’s never been my intention to offend or discredit REAL ministers and leaders of the church through the personification of Rev. Janky. I imagine I’m like most people who fear God and strive to abide by His Word. I fully understand that we are all human and subject to error, but I have a problem when people attempt to justify their sin by misrepresenting God’s Word. We have all definitely sinned and come short of the Glory, but that doesn’t mean we’re supposed to just accept sinful ways as a part of our lives and not seek to repent and turn away from them.

I find it disturbing when people who are put into the position to minister and lead God’s flock, blatantly act out against God’s Word. And the real kicker to me is when these pastors, minister, bishops, etc. expect the church to endorse their obvious sinful actions as acceptable in the eyes of God. I fully realize that on the largest scale, God’s plan is constantly at work and there are some parts of His plan that I can never begin to understand, but I am very cautious and wary of ‘janky’ people who misrepresent the Word of God by mouth or by action. I don’t hold any form of religious office or position. I consider myself a Biblical novice, meaning I’ve read the Bible in its entirety once and I lean on it constantly seeking better understanding of God’s will. Because no matter how good a minister or preacher is, there is no substitute for studying the Word on your own. I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I think my reading comprehension is pretty good. And there are several themes and passages throughout the Bible, that characterize my ‘gripe’ I have with religious leaders who blatantly sin against God. The book of I Timothy in the New Testament (NKJV) contains explicit pastoral instruction for those so deemed to lead the flock, I Timothy 3:1-7

1 This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work. 2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; 3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; 4 one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence 5 (for if a man does no know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); 6 not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil. 7 Moreover he must have a good testimony among those who are outside, lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Being an overseer of the church (i.e. pastor, bishop, etc.) is a huge responsibility that is not meant to be taken lightly. The great part about America is that we have the freedom to choose our religion and how/where we worship God. The primary importance to any church is for its leaders to teach and set an example for others. Church leaders are held to a higher standard in which their followers will not only do as they SAY, but also as they DO. Religion represents the way in which we serve God and ANY religion that alters, misrepresents or ignores the direct Word of God is definitely ‘janky’.

When I turn on my television and see the numerous ‘ministers for God’ in their lime green suits and heavily adorned jewelry, steady laying hands and speaking in tongues, I can’t help but wonder..’What is THIS all about?’ Some are out for the money, some for the fame and recognition, and some are just in it for the women (or men).. The fruit that they bear will expose false prophets. The Southside motto applies here too, listen to what it says, but make sure you watch what it DOES. Watch out for the ‘janky’ move ya’ll.