Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Django Ngz

I haven't done a movie review in awhile. If you read my previous movie reviews, Dirty Pretty Things and Book of Eli, rest assured, if you haven't seen the movie yet, I won't be the one to give up any spoilers.

First, let me say, I like Quentin Tarantino movies. Dusk to Dawn. Pulp Fiction. Jackie Brown. Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2. That nga is crazy. I know the word 'nga' sparks a lot of controversy, ill feelings, regression to days of darkness..but I for one, am not offended by it. I use the word pretty liberally (in select company). It's a word that we've taught our children to regard as a curse word. Because rest assured, if you use it? You better be ready to deal with the consequences. And if you are offended by the word, then Django is probably not a movie you should go see.

I know Q has caught a lot of negative flak about his use of the word from talking heads, Spike Lee, etc. But I'm a strong believer in staying true to the game. How can you make a movie set in the 1850's slave trade era and NOT use the word nga?? I call white boys ngz too, so I'm not tripping.

Anyway, back to Django. He's got a heavy loaded cast of all stars, led by Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, Samuel L. Jackson (my nga!), Kerry Washington. It must be nice to pull out Oscar winners to be a part of your project.

The premise of the story is that a slave couple is seperated and the husband (Jamie Foxx) is ready to do whatever he has to do to reunite with his wife (Kerry Washington). Now, on the surface everyone is talking about the violence, blood and gore, foul language, n-word, etc that is in the movie, but after seeing the movie and thinking about it, what stuck out the most to me is that this is a true love story.

Talking to a few dudes about the movie and their reactions were mixed...

Mane..if they would have took my wife like that, I would have used it as a chance to start all over! I wouldn't be going to look for her!! I would have just kept stacking my paper and if I happened to find her, so be it.

I like the way they had that slave girl calling Don Johnson, 'Big Daddy'...mmhmm..she knew how to say it right. I like that.

It's the little things about the movie expereince that I enjoy. We tried going to see the movie on Christmas Day, but the movie was already sold out by the time we got ot the theater. We went to the early morning show this weekend and I dropped my wife off at the front, while I went to park the car. By the time I walked to the theater she had already gotten the tickets and handed the ticket taker our tickets...the other one is for my husband (motioning to me, walking through the door).

It's a blessing to have a woman that is proud that you're her husband.

We had to sit through about 5 previews before Django started, and 3 or 4 of those previews had semi automatic rifles, chainsaws, mass killings and/or crazy folks living in a house that all the birds were flying into. And we wonder why we have so many crazy mf's roaming in our society.

I believe in protecting what's mine. And I fully endorse my right as a U.S. citizen to bear arms. I know having a beautiful, sexy and loving wife is a blessing. And my wife knows there isn't anything I wouldn't do to protect her, even if it means putting my life or freedom on the line. She knows she's got a Django nga on her side.