Thursday, July 29, 2004

U Gotta Feel D!

"Aww sh-t! Y'all done f---d up and let me in this b--h
I'm just yo' average hood nigga with dreams of gettin rich (but you don't hear me)
My crib big like a football field (football field)
You might f--k around and think I signed a football deal (but you don't hear me)
I take 15 minutes to drop a track (yeahhh!!)
I take half a minute to load my gat (but you don't hear me)
I make 'em bounce all across the globe
I'm a pimp, I got your hoe takin off her clothes (but you don't hear me)
A franchise like a Houston Rocket (Houston Rocket)
Every eight months is when I usually drop it (but you don't hear me)
I got the streets on lock, I like my beats with knock
You know my heat stay cocked, niggaaahhh!"

- Lil Flip 'Game Over'


The wild thing about servinemup.com, is that there is a diverse array of folks around the world putting the www.servinemup.com URL on their list of favorites. First and foremost, are my fellow Christians checking in to see what Brother D is up to. Also within this inner circle are all those folks who know D.E. Washington personally, my blood kinfolk as well as my homies from the hood and friends who have Internet access.
In case you’re just joining the party and you’re still trying to figure out, ‘Just what is this n’ga DOING at servinemup??’ What you’re seeing is a slave, getting down for his Master. That’s right..a slave. Because although I claim to be ‘servin’ them up, the real translation of ‘servant’ in the original Greek LXX, is slave. I have a Master that I submit too, and you know what? I’m not tripping about it, I serve eagerly. This may seem like a strange thing for an African-American (black dude) slave descendant to say, but once you realize who your true Master is, there is nothing to trip about, you submit willfully and pray to be a fruitful servant for your Lord.

A lot of folks may feel like some of my ‘jailhouse’ or ‘street’ dialect and slang is too hard-core and out of touch with what’s ‘real’, but the simple fact is that once you go through the fires of life, God uses these trials and tribulations to prove your heart and use your experience for His purpose. Recognize real, cuz that fake go fade away. Once you bow down and submit to the ONE Almighty God, there is some wonderful thangs that will come into your life. Sure, there are a lot of people who SAY they believe, but as we say on the Southside, ‘Listen to what they say, but watch what it DO!’ When you believe, you will submit. A lot of people look at Christians as that ‘new thang’, that renegade Jewish sect that just flipped the game all up from the status quo. What I try to tell all of my Jewish and Muslim friends, is that Christ did not come to abolish the Law, He came to fulfill it. So as much as Christianity may seem like a rogue or renegade religion, as compared to that ‘old school’ teaching of Moses and Abraham, check out what He’s really saying in that New Covenant, it’s some real shit.



Ops! There I go again. See, my problem is that I have a wide array of folks coming to my little hole in the wall on the World Wide Web to get ‘served’. Everybody is trying to get fed and most come here to get some of that ‘real’. Some of those ‘good’ church folks get turned off because I put the word ‘shit’ in the same sentence as something sacred as the New Covenant, but I can’t let that deter me. Because the main reason I opened my mouth, and came off the DL with my faith in my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, is because I know God blessed me with a voice and an audience that most hard headed n’gas from the Southside of Houston Texas have never dreamed of. I’ve got a full crew of my blood kinfolk that have had my back from day one. And I’m not talking about day one of writing, I’m talking about day one of breathing. Both of my parents are from bloodlines of African slave descendants from the beautiful rolling woods of Union County Arkansas. Combine that with all of my Southside crew, my church crew, my Booker T. Washington crew, my Stanford University bruhs and bruhettes, and just my whole connection with folks who are really trying to enjoy life and serve the Lord..and you can see where I was born into royalty.



At first I thought I wanted to just write about me, tell folks MY story about how a hard head Southsider born to working class parents can end up with a degree in Electrical Engineering from Stanford University, but right in the midst of me putting out my game, I realized that there was a much realer and more important story for me to focus on distributing.No matter how funny Hittin Licks may be and no matter how informative and entertaining After the Morning After may be received, nothing is more important and imperative than the message of the risen Savior. I could curse, I could have pictures of thong clad women bending over cars, I could have a table of gats, glocks and heaters to show how to bust a cap in a n’ga and everything would be cool, but once you start throwing up THE set of Jesus Christ, people start tripping.



Those who don’t know Him personally, may scratch their head and frown up like,


‘Umm..I dunno about all that Jesus stuff, all I KNOW is God and I only kinda know Him’.


Those people that are wavering on the fence, those folks who are interested, but not convicted in the Christ? I’m trying to GET you mane. I’m trying to open my mouth and testify to the world with every joke and literary device I have at my disposal and show ya’ll how good Jesus really is and what I KNOW He can do for you.


A lot of my friends who know me from my more ‘worldly’ days, those days when I was still trying to do everything for myself and I was too proud to acknowledge Him in all my ways and I was leaning just on my own understanding..some of them are a bit confused. Because I’m sure they can’t quite understand how a ‘let the good times ROLL’ guy like me could ever get to the point where I would publicly announce the reason for my faith.

But as I got older, and became a father and a husband, and I got down on my knees and prayed for my family, for my wife and for my kids, God opened my eyes to some thangs that I had never seen before. I had grown up in the church and I KNEW what the Word said, but I was a ‘social’ user. Whenever people asked I could tell them what church I was a member of and maybe even a few Bible verses, but I wasn’t trying to LIVE the Word. But there were several events like having children, marriage, dealing with death, disappointment, pain, fear, loneliness, that kept bringing that REAL into my face.



As the music artist Kanye West says in his hit single ‘Jesus Walks’...

To the hustlas, killers, murderers, drug dealers even the strippers
To the victims of Welfare for we living in hell here hell yeah
Now hear ye hear ye want to see Thee more clearly
I know he hear me when my feet get weary
Cuz we're the almost nearly extinct
We rappers are role models we rap we don't think
I ain't here to argue about his facial features
Or here to convert atheists into believers
I'm just trying to say the way school need teachers
The way Kathie Lee needed Regis that's the way yall need Jesus
So here go my single dog radio needs this
They say you can rap about anything except for Jesus
That means guns, sex, lies, video tapes
But if I talk about God my record won't get played Huh?
Well let this take away from my spins
Which will probably take away from my ends
Then I hope this take away from my sins
And bring the day that I'm dreaming about
Next time I'm in the club everybody screaming out




Jesus walks ya’ll, so all of the ‘intelligent’ folks out there, who KNOW that God is real, yet you aren’t CONVINCED AND CONVICTED about that #1 STUNNA that got up on that cross at Calvary? Well I’m the n’ga you need to be hollering at if you’re trying to be REAL. Cuz of all the bullsh’t you might come across on the internet, you can’t fade that real. It sticks over and over baby. Isaiah told us that God’s Word shall NEVER return void. That means it’s going to do SUMTHIN’ every time it drops.


This whole website started with an email sent to my family and friends that I just kept feeding every week. 3 or 4 times a week I ‘drop’ something new on Servinemup. Bible School Lessons. Southside Classics. Proverbial Challenge. Recipes..Its on and popping right here dog. So far all ya’ll that’s trying to keep it REAL, all the while having a good time AND learning something while you’re being entertained? Servinemup.com baby...you already know!


We all reach a point in life where we realize we have a serious decision to make. Should I be STRICTLY about my paper or should I submit to the Lord?? I started out as a ‘vaguely’ Christian writer, but as I got deeper into the game, I realized that I just could not be silent about my Lord. He has done too much for me, I just couldn’t be quiet, and I HAVE to let them fools know!

So here we are. No, I don’t get paid for this. No, I’m not rich, I’m struggling to make it just like errbody else. No, I don’t have a release date for my first book, but those who signup for the newsletter will be IN the know before anybody else. I’m not a business genius, or a publishing guru. My talent is my personality. My function is my wit, charm, intelligence, hoodness and masculinity. My soul has been anchored in the Lord ya’ll. So I apologize to all ya’ll ‘good church folks’ who come in to get fed the Word, but have to see four letter expletives and the word ‘n’ga’. My target audience is actually those folks who DON’T go to church and who DON’T read the Bible. Cuz the way I figure, if I made this just like church, then the people who need to read it the most would never show up.
So that’s my game, I’m serving the Word to an audience that doesn’t always know what they’re eating until they swallow that first bite. Some folks don’t eat, but rather pick at their food, sniff it..wary that it might be something sprinkled in it that will make them like us ‘Jesus Freaks’ folks. Others check in specifically looking for something to criticize. It doesn’t matter if you’re here because of hate, love, sincere interest or curiosity, I’m just glad you’re here kinfolk…fo-real.

I’m saying all this because I know I have to start getting a lot of folks ready. Everybody isn’t trying to hear that the tomb is empty. I brought up Kanye West because he is a rare breed of mainstream hip hop artist that has put his faith ‘out there’ for people to see. His hit single ‘Jesus Walks’ is one of the biggest pubs ever for the Savior in hip/hop. Of course, when you listen to his whole album, all of the songs aren’t talking about Jesus. That’s kinda like me. I try not to be TOO schizo, you know, like how some artist can have a song out about how “He saved me” and then you turn to another one of their songs and they’re talking about freaking with some boppers in a motel til 6 in the morning. Everybody is dealing with their own issues and wrestling with their own demons. Some of the things I’ve written, people would have NO IDEA where my faith lies. But whenever I drop some of that Christian theology into the mix, like with Neva Scaid, folks get a better understanding of D.E. Washington, the writer.



So for all those who ask questions of ‘What type of writer are you?’, I guess you could say that I’m a humorous Christian-Hip/Hop-Gospel-African-American-slave-descendant from the Southside of Houston Texas engineer-Stanford graduate type writer with a Southern country twist that likes to read the Bible, watch football, play golf, get down for mine with the pen and enjoy life (among other things). Oh yeah..that opening with Lil Flip’s lyrics from ‘Game Over’? I know it’s kinda rough with those f-bombs and talking about making hoes taking off their clothes and all that, but look how many street folks it brought to the party. That’s just part of the game mane. Can you feel me now??